Welcome!

This blog is no longer active, come over to www.quiltingbuttercup.com for more.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

How to make a sun visor

With the summer finally arriving I needed something to protect my face. I don't always like to wear hats, because it sometimes gets really hot underneath, and so I decided to sew myself a sun visor.


This is a really quick project, it didn't even take me an hour to make this.

You will need:
cotton fabric
thin doublesided fusible interfacing
rigid batting

Measure the circumference of your head where you want to the visor to sit. Cut two strips with a width of 4 cm of fabric, making them about 20 cms longer than your measurement. For the visor decide on the size and fitting (how big and round do you want it to be? Do you have one you like that you could copy?). I cut a half circle shape from paper and fitted it to my head adjusting it with the scissors to fit the way I wanted it to. That way I had a template to cut my shapes.
Trace the template onto the fabric once, then flip it over and trace a second shape. Trace the template once onto batting and twice (one flipped over) onto the fusible interfacing. Cut all shapes.
At last cut strips for the binding (only the front part of the visor will need binding).

 Iron the fusible interfacing to both sides of the batting leaving the protective paper attached to the other side of each piece of interfacing.


Then take the protective paper off one side of the batting and iron the first piece of fabric in place.


Do the same to the second side of the visor.

Then prepare the strip for binding (for how to prepare the strip have a look at my binding tutorial). Pinning the binding in place with the rigid batting didn't work and therefore, given that we're working on a small piece, I simply attached the binding sewing slowly, putting it in place manually while I was attaching it. The binding goes only around the outer edge of the visor, not where it will be close to the head.


Now take the remaining two strips and attach them to the visor. Place each strip on one side of the visor right side to right side. aligning the two strips and placing the visor in the center of the strips, and attach them in one go as you did with the binding. Start sewing from the beginning of the strips in order to not only attach the strips to the visor, but to attach the two strips on the sides of the visor as well.


To finish fold the seam allowance on the three open edges of both sides of the strip towards the inside, pin the strips together


and sew everything together close to the open edge.  


And here's teddy modelling the visor:

 


Have you made a project following this tutorial? Let me know what you think. Did you like it? Was it easy to understand and to follow? Do you have any suggestions?
Write a comment or send me an mail using the contact form at the bottom of the page.

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment